"The only way of catching a train I ever discovered is to miss the train before."

~G.K. Chesterton

Today Kathryn and I ventured out of our little house and decided to navigate the tube! We were supposed to me
et up with a friend from my school, Joel, and his roommate Colin. We got to the tube station and the group had largely expanded, there ended up being nine of us and we decided to hop on a train to Central London!! We ended up in Regents Park, and then Hyde Park. Both were covered in snow, and I got hit with more than one snowball! We also managed to procure cellphones, so my family can expect me to run up a large bill!! :) Then we headed over to Buckingham Palace, where I was invited to tea with the Queen. She was very impressed by my manners, as drank my tea with my pinkie out, and said a gracious thank you for every crumpet! (Just a joke, I have little to no manners!) Even though I did not have tea with the Queen, Kathryn and I did get a photo in front of her humble abode, which is almost as good!

We also had a wonderful view of the Big Ben and the Tower of London! Even in the slushy mess left over from this crazy England weather (I brought the crazy snow with me!) the city was beautiful. My legs are sore and my eyes are tired, but I had an amazing day and know I will have an amazing semester ahead of me! After seeing Buckingham Palace and taking dozens of obnoxious pictures, we trudged about for a while until we found a Caffe Nero (the best coffee this side of Milan) and I finally got some coffee. My day was finally complete as I sipped my vanilla latte. I only got a tall, because I felt like a fatty getting a grande because that is their largest size, no 20 ounces in London! Just short, talls, and grandes! I guess they don't need venti coffees like we do...

We sat at the cafe for awhile, and then decided it wa
s probably time to head back home. It took a while to find a tube station, but we finally did, and then of course, had just missed the tube and had to run across to the next platform! Some of parted ways, taking different tubes back to the various areas our host families live, but Kathryn and I found some in our area to latch on to, so they can guide us to orientation in the morning, since we haven't the faintest idea as to where we are are supposed to be going! It is always nice to travel in group, at least if you get lost, you are lost in good company! Hope all is well at home, and hope to hear from you soon!!

4 comments:

Alissa said...

Let me be the first to comment...thanks for the pictures, love! ; ) Glad to hear you are having fun at my old "haunts"! (Ha...I'd hardly call them 'haunts'...wait 'till you get to Ireland...then you can find some of those for me!) Love you muches and bunches...take care, stay warm, don't step out in front of a bus because you forgot to look the wrong way when you crossed the street. Love you muches!

Deanna Huddle said...

Your Mum's class wants to know if you've had hotdogs yet and if you've seen the Queen? :)

Katie said...

I haven't even seen a hotdog yet! I was kind of wondering about that myself. As for the queen, I haven't seen her either, but I did see her guards and their silly fluffy hats!

Kristi said...

I miss you! Hope you're having lots of fun. What class(es) are you taking? Don't work too hard! :D

Copyright @ A Single Step | Floral Day theme designed by SimplyWP | Bloggerized by GirlyBlogger